Sunday, March 22, 2015

Easy Chili Dog Mac N' Cheese


If you haven't noticed..... I'm a hardcore dog lover. Not just the furry four legged kind, but hot dogs, brats, Polish sausages, Chicago dogs, Buffalo style (wink, wink here's a link to an easy Buffalo Dog recipe by lil ole me)Buffalo HOT dogs I know they are not the healthiest food in the world, but you know what? We all got to go sometime and someway. Given the various ways one might leave this Earth, death by chili dog doesn't seem like a bad way to go at all! If I do happen to expire eating a chili dog, just find comfort knowing that I went out happy and content!


Way back when I was in high school (seems like eons ago).... I actually worked at a DQ on the Toll Road. This love/hate relationship of mine with the chili cheese dog and Chicago Dog took place there for about 4 years. I ate so0o0 many hot dogs and ice cream products while working there that I didn't want another shake or sausage for at least a year or more after quitting lol! Its been many, MANY of moons since I was dishing up DQ dogs and Oreo blizzards, and I've since, rekindled my mass love for them :) Like they say.... too much of a good thing isn't good. Furthermore, I also lived off of grilled hot dogs and hamburgers every summer as a tot. I'm not exaggerating people. For like three months straight in the summer time, I breathed hot dogs and hamburgers, watermelon, and Popsicles lol. As well as some body's blackberries/mulberries that I'd munch on my adventures to and from the local beach (Those berries were the bomb by the way! They would stain my hands and bare lil nappy feet lol.~ Sorry, for munching on your berries whoever you were he he)


Moving along now to chili dogs and mac n' cheese, who doesn't love that? I know my taste testers gave this 4 thumbs up and confirmed this dishes' deliciousness repeatedly, one even said he'd eat the leftovers cold, so ya know that's winning lol ;) Even better yet, it's way friggin easy (shh) and budget friendly too! But we'll just keep that lil secret between us, kapeesh!? This is sure to be an easy, but yummy family favorite.


Whatcha' Need


  • 1 pack of hot dogs
  • 1 lb of ground turkey (or beef if you prefer, but they'll never know it's not beef hehehe)
  • 1 can chili beans in hot sauce
  • 1 can Sloppy Joe Sauce
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (opt)
  • 1 small bell pepper (I used yellow diced, or if you want some heat go jalapeno)
  • 2 boxes deluxe mac n' cheese (prepared according to box directions)
  • 2 tsp dried minced onion (or fresh if you prefer)
  • 2 TBS butter (&or oil / bacon grease; I used a tsp of bacon grease as well) 
  • 1+ tsp each chili powder & oregano
  • 1/2 +/- tsp ground cumin, garlic powder, lemon pepper, and Cajun Seasoning 
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Start by slicing the hot dogs into little medallions, about a half inch or so ought do. Place them into a large sauce pan with a little bacon grease or butter and brown them up. I sprinkled the w/ a dash of the dry seasoning mentioned above as well. Should only take about 7-10 minutes on medium heat for them to brown.


Once the dogs have a nice brown texture on them add the ground turkey, minced onion, diced pepper, and the recommended dry seasonings along w/ the butter. Break down the meat and stir frequently for about 15-20 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.


~Start water for the mac n' cheese~ but use a large sauce pot because you'll combine all the goodies at the end (and cook according to box directions)


Next, stir into the meat mixture, the sloppy joe sauce, corn, chili beans, and a dash more of the suggested dry seasonings.


Reduce heat just a tad and cover the mixture with lid, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook for about 15-20 more minutes or until corn & beans are tender and heated all the way thru.

Ohh yeah :)


When the mac n' cheese, and chili dog mixture is all done, turn off the heat and combine them into one lovely, harmonious masterpiece. Sprinkle with crushed corn chips, a dab of sourcream, or a sprinkle of green onions for even more awesomeness! NOW~ Brace yourself for comfort food utopia and chow down!

Hope you dig this funky fun dish, Big Hugs, and Thanks for popping in! 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment