Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Fully Loaded Potachos w/ Spicy Ranch Sauce



It doesn't get much better in my book than bacon, potatoes, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Like seriously, if you don't love any of those glorious foods then I'm not sure we can truly be buddies!I don't think I'd even want to live in a world without dairy and potatoes. NOT. EVEN. KIDDING. If by some cruel twist of fate I ever become lactose intolerant, PLEASE, just take me out to the pasture because that would be way more humane than living a life without cheese. No, but for real, I'd be super sad without things like sour cream, cheese, and chocolate milk! And I'm fairly certain I've already stated my adoration for meat and potatoes a few times now. Don't get me wrong, I love fruits and veggies or a nice lite salad, but given the choice between a salad or fully loaded fries/nachos, I'm picking the fries or nachos 75% of the time! One of mine and my dudes guilty pleasures is ordering fully loaded fries from the local bowling alley, they totally rock. Not to too my own horn or anything tho ;) but my potachos (aka the love child of potatoes and nachos) were waaaay better!!! They are also less fatty because they aren't fried and I used low fat sour cream. So I didn't even have to feel super guilty when loading my face full of them. HECK to the YEAH! Though these aren't fried and full of greasy badness they are packed with mad flavor and they might just change your potato world :)

Just look at those lil Beauties :)


Whatcha' need:


  • 5-6 Large Idaho or Russet Potatoes (cleaned)
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
  • 1 pack bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled (I used pork, but turkey bacon would be yummy too)
  • 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup ranch dressing
  • 1 TBSP Milk
  •  1 jalapeno chopped or about 10 jarred slices diced
  • Non stick cooking spray (I used butter flavored)
Salt, Pepper and other desired seasonings: Chili Powder, Oregano, Red Pepper Flakes, Minced Onion and Garlic, Onion Powder.



I started by frying my bacon on the stove top, but feel free to throw it in the oven or cook it however you prefer (if using turkey bacon be sure to add some oil to the pan because it does not naturally produce grease like pork or beef) Once the bacon has cooked and cooled crumble it into nice little chunks, it's okay to taste test a piece or 3 when no one is looking ;)



Next clean potatoes and remove any excessive bumps, bruises or blemishes on the skin or internally. Slice the potatoes in 1/4 inch - 1/2 circles or rounds (like chips) with a veggie slicer or by hand, but try to keep them all about the same size to ensure even cooking. Place the potatoes slices in a pot and cover them with water and a dash of salt. Bring them to a slow boil and allow them to just become fork tender. This only takes about 5 minutes of them boiling, they don't need to be mashably soft just par cooked.


I boiled these with salt and dried minced onion/garlic ^
Strain the potatoes and preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet or pizza pan with non stick cooking spray and layer the potatoes evenly across the pan overlapping them just slightly so when you sprinkle all that yummy cheese and bacon on it doesn't just fall through the cracks.




Now spray the tops of the potatoes with a generous dose of more cooking spray (I also drizzled on a teaspoon of the reserved bacon grease just for good measures lol) and sprinkle with your desired seasonings and a nice dash of salt. Place them in the oven and cook for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.



Combine the sour cream, ranch, milk and diced peppers in a measuring cup or small bowl and set aside.


Next, remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle them with cheese and the bacon crumbles and put it back into the oven for 5-10 more minutes or until cheese is nice and gooey.




Remove that glorious masterpiece from the oven and let it cool a few minutes. Drizzle it with the spicy ranch sauce or serve it on the side for dipping. AND NOW, Prepare to be mind blown by the Potachos! These things are what dreams are made of... For seriousness folks! They are like little slices of potato magic and cheesy happiness! Make these gems for your next gathering or couch-gating extravaganza and the people will <3 you forever, PROMISES!



Caution: If these potachos change your life, I am not legally responsible... but your way welcome ;)     




No comments:

Post a Comment